Realwheels Theatre is an award-winning theatre company with a mandate to create and produce performances that deepen understanding of the disability experience. Despite the pandemic, Realwheels has seen great growth over the last three years. We are in a strong fiscal position with many organizations and partners excited to work with and for us as we move forward in representation, advocacy, and professional theatre work through a disability lens. We are looking for a strong leader with passion and excitement to help us continue to grow and thrive.
The Managing Director will bring a unique combination of skills and knowledge that will allow them to be able to manage day-to-day operations with a compassionate and solution-focused mindset, while also being a big-picture thinker who is ready and able to build networks and take Realwheels to the next stage of development.
We are looking for an individual who possesses strong entrepreneurial, financial, and fundraising skills to administer and grow this equity-based theatre company. The Managing Director will be charged with oversight and management of all facets of the company’s operations as well as the development of strategic and funding partnerships for future growth.
* Realwheels is open to this position being a job share.
- Strategic Planning: Initiate and participate in annual and long term planning.
- Society Compliance: Fulfill all regulatory compliance requirements, including annual filings for compliance with regulators.
- Operations Management: Oversee the office and all related operational components, including but not limited to insurance, rent, scheduling of meetings, supplies, equipment, etc.
- Fundraising: Create and manage a fund development strategy, which encompasses private donors, corporate sponsors and donors, private foundations, and government funders.
- Grant writing: Research and identify new government, corporate, foundation and private grant prospects to match artistic projects and priorities; Generate high-quality grants, applications and supporting documents in conjunction with the Artistic Director; Maintain primary responsibility for grant schedules and tracking grants; Coordinate the timely submission of reports to funding bodies as requested.
- Financial Management: Manage and oversee all financial matters, such as annual budget development, monthly and quarterly financial statements, cash flow, invoice approval and coding, bill payments, banking, and all related matters.
- Communications: Develop and implement a public communications/marketing strategy.
- Human Resources: Hire, manage and supervise, with the Artistic Director, all staff, contractors, and volunteers.
- Producing: Oversee logistics and coordination of Realwheels programming and productions.
- Board Relations: Attend Board meetings, actively contribute to the Board agenda and within meetings, prepare the Annual Report and AGM materials.
The ideal candidate will be independent, resourceful, entrepreneurial and passionate, with the following skills/experience:
- University degree in a related field and/or 3+ years in non-profit or business administration and/or comparable experience.
- Strong management experience in office systems, budgeting, and finance.
- Experience managing and supervising others.
- Understanding of the principles of marketing and experience in the use of social media.
- Ability to effectively communicate tactfully and timely, both orally and in writing.
- Past successes in developing strategic partnerships and fundraising initiatives.
- Enthusiasm for a collaborative work environment and partnership-building.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to be flexible.
- Familiarity with the Vancouver and Canadian performing arts community.
- Familiarity with or significant interest in issues around equity for persons with disability.
- Experience working with community and community organizations.
We know that imposter syndrome is real, as are barriers to access and equity with job postings. We invite you to apply even if you do not feel you fulfill all of the qualifications listed here.
$40,000 – $45,000 per year plus health benefits after three months. This is based on a 35 hour work week. Hours and compensation would be adjusted if the job is shared.
HOURS & LOCATION
The Managing Director will work 35 hours per week and, while the hours are flexible, it is expected that most of the work will be done between 9am-6pm, Monday to Friday. Some evening and weekend work will occasionally be required.
Realwheels believes in a flexible work environment and supports individuals doing their best work regardless of the location. We have a dedicated office space on SW Marine Drive in Vancouver, with 2 private offices as well as boardroom usage, which the Managing Director must be able to work out of at least part time. Other work may be done remotely or at specific venues where productions or workshops may be held.
The expected start date is July 2022. This is a permanent salaried position.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 9, 2022, at 6pm PST with the subject line: “Managing Director Position”. As Realwheels is open to this being a job share position, please indicate in your cover letter if you would be interested in the full scope. If not, please indicate which of the pieces under the list of responsibilities you are interested in covering and how many hours you can dedicate to the role per week.
If you require any accommodations in your application process, please let us know via the email address above or at 604-763-2695 (this is the phone number for Amy Amantea, the Board President, so please leave a message) at least three days prior to the deadline. We can discuss a submission format that is most equitable and accessible for you. We do request that documents be sent as a Microsoft Word document for accessibility of our board members.
Realwheels strongly supports and values diversity and fosters an equitable and inclusive work environment. We welcome and encourage applications from members of all equity-seeking groups and invite you to self-identify in your application. We will be pleased to assist you with appropriate accommodation in the interview and/or workplace.
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.