Realwheels is an award-winning, Vancouver-based professional theatre company. We create and produce performances that deepen understanding of the disability experience, and work towards full inclusion and integration of disability both on—and off—Canadian stages.
Realwheels values authenticity in representing disability; innovation in content, presentation and technology; inclusiveness in working with artists; and we advocate for equity on behalf of performers, backstage workers and patrons with disabilities.
Through our theatre productions, community engagement projects, and advocacy for access, we’re building a diverse performing arts world that reflects the real world and all of its people.
ABOUT THE POSITION
After 10 outstanding years with the company, Artistic Director Rena Cohen announced she’ll be moving on from her position. We have a vibrant and committed full- and part-time staff, a diverse board of directors, and an important position to fill. At Realwheels, we strive to push the envelope in terms of programming, performances and audience experience.
The Artistic Director (AD) will work with the Managing Director (MD) to direct the activities of Realwheels, developing and fulfilling the artistic vision and organizational mandate. As AD, you’ll be responsible for the following areas:
Artistic Vision and Strategy
● Develops and implements Realwheels’ artistic vision and strategy, with a focus on community programming, and the curation, development and production of new works
● Recruits, manages and mentors artists, participants and project staff
● Works with the MD on all aspects of company planning, programming, fundraising,
budgeting, grant writing, facility operations, board development, stewardship,
networking, and community outreach
● Oversees existing artistic programming and leads the creation of new artistic and
audience development initiatives, with an eye to revenue development and fiscal
● Provides regular reports to the Board of Directors
Public Relations and Marketing
● Represents Realwheels and liaises with its various stakeholders
● Acts as an ambassador for Realwheels to the general public and within the disability and
● Maintains and develops relationships with theatre artists, companies and allied
organizations, and inspires participation in programming
● In conjunction with the MD, develops, manages and implements Realwheels’
● Communicates with donors, potential funders and sponsors, soliciting their continued support
● Works with the MD to source and prepare relevant grant applications and coordinate additional fundraising and revenue generation initiatives
● Develops and maintains working relationships with key people and institutions in the corporate sector
The ideal candidate for the Artistic Director role possesses the following qualifications:
● A proven artistic track record and strong artistic vision
● Demonstrated experience of artistic administration
● Strong grant-writing and communication skills
● Actively engaged in the theatre community, particularly within disability communities
● A keen understanding of intersectional approaches
● A broad range of knowledge of disability arts within Canada and internationally
● A relationship-builder, committed to community connections, mentorship and outreach
● An entrepreneurial spirit
Accountability: The Artistic Director is directly accountable to the Board of Directors.
Salary: $42,000+ (benefits offered)
Employment Start Date: January/February 2021
Hours and location of work: Realwheels shares an office with other non-profit organizations in South Vancouver, though the AD may work remotely as needed. Evening, weekends, and occasional overtime hours may be required to accommodate activities like rehearsals, shows, and Board meetings. Work hours are flexible, with the expectation that the AD works 4 days per week (0.8 FTE).
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume and a cover letter showcasing your interest, experience and familiarity with disability arts, as well as an expression of your vision, goals, and artistic philosophy to: email@example.com by November 15, 2020.
We request that all documents be sent in Word format for maximal accessibility.
Inclusion/ Equity: Realwheels strongly supports and values diversity and fosters an equitable and inclusive environment. We welcome and encourage applications from members of equity-seeking groups. We’ll be pleased to assist you with appropriate accommodation.
Accessibility: At this time, all interviews will be conducted over video chat. Please let us know if you require any alternate accommodations.
We thank all applicants, but please be advised that only those considered for an interview will be contacted.