Realwheels Theatre is an award-winning Vancouver-based theatre company with a mandate to deepen audiences’ understanding of the disability experience.
We are seeking engaged board members to help strengthen our ability to combine theatrical excellence with a commitment to inclusion of disability – someone who is passionate about the performing arts, or disability advocacy or better still, both! Our volunteer board currently consists of eight members from a variety of backgrounds and life experiences – from film, sound production, and theatre to physiotherapy, accounting, and engineering.
Realwheels strongly values diversity and fosters an equitable and inclusive work and volunteer environment. We look forward to applications from members of equity seeking or under-represented groups. As an integrated disability company, we strongly encourage those who live with or self-identify with disability to let us know of your access needs.
We are currently looking for a Secretary as well as two members-at-large.
Board members serve a three-year term, with eligibility for renewal. The board meets approximately 10x/year and is actively engaged in articulating and supporting the company’s strategic initiatives. Beyond board meetings, members are occasionally asked to sit on Board committees, which normally meet every 4-8 weeks. Board members are also asked to participate in fundraising initiatives.
- A pragmatic yet imaginative mindset, with a strong interest in serving our sector
- Big picture thinking, with ability to recognize priorities and a willingness to roll up your sleeves, join the team, and help us reach our objectives
- A cultural philanthropy mindset
- Skills in capacity building, strategic planning, fundraising, and/or events are desirable
- Experience in the nonprofit world and/or with the disability community (asset)
- Experience in the arts and with an arts board (asset)
- Familiarity with BC Societies Act (asset)
- A meaningful board experience and an opportunity for enrichment
- Insight and direct connection to the performing arts
- Engagement with the disability community
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your CV, a short cover letter explaining why this board opportunity appeals to you to email@example.com with “Application: Board Candidate” in the subject line. We also kindly request that you fill in our Board Expression of Interest form: https://forms.gle/DqHhy5eDCfX7aTSh7
If you require other means of applying due to accessibility needs, please let us know at the email address listed above or call at 604-322-7325 and we will be happy to accommodate you.