ACTING ACADEMY MANAGER
Realwheels theatre is an award-winning theatre company with a mandate to create and produce performances that deepen understanding of the disability experience. We have an exciting opportunity to launch a three year actor training program customized to persons who live with disability. The Realwheels Acting Academy launched in September 2021.
The Manager will bring a unique combination of being able to manage day-to-day operations such as dealing with the instructors and students with a compassionate, solution-focused mindset; while also being a big-picture thinker who is ready and able to build networks and take the Academy to the next stage of development.
We’re looking for an individual who possesses tremendous entrepreneurial, organizational and fundraising skill to administer and grow this equity-based artist training project. The Acting Academy Manager will be charged with oversight and management of all facets of the training program’s operations as well as the development of artistic, strategic and funding partners for future growth.
This position is responsible for strategic, academic and administrative leadership and intersects education, management, theatre and disability sectors.
- Provide vision and direction through annual planning, development and implementation of strategies that support the direction and priorities of the program.
- Lead and participate in the development and implementation of policies and procedures regarding instruction and operations.
- Coordinate, plan, and schedule educational activities and delivery of services to achieve program goals.
- Cultivate and maintain networks with government, performing arts, and training communities to develop new relationships and expand existing partnerships that help enhance or fund the program.
- Oversee administrative aspects of the program, including student records, class scheduling, and electronic communications with students and instructors.
- Supervise, evaluate, schedule work and determine priorities for assigned instructors and personnel.
- Collect data on all areas of program activities for evaluation of program effectiveness.
- Develop and establish policies/procedures for implementation as applicable to the program.
- Communicate with the students on an ongoing basis and provide compassionate and flexible problem-solving to arising issues.
- Oversee marketing initiatives, including developing and designing promotional materials such as posters, pamphlets, program descriptions, and other educational materials for publication and distribution.
- Oversee general financial management and administration.
- Assists with grant applications and proposal writing.
The ideal candidate will be independent, resourceful, entrepreneurial and passionate about advancing this equity initiative, with the following skills/experience:
- University degree in educational administration, theatre administration, or comparable experience.
- Strong management experience in office systems, budgeting, finance and marketing.
- The ability to effectively communicate tactfully, both orally and in writing.
- Past successes in developing strategic partnerships and fundraising initiatives.
- Ability to deal compassionately and effectively with others, providing clear and accurate information.
- Enthusiasm for a collaborative work environment and partnership-building.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to be flexible.
- Familiarity with the Vancouver and Canadian performing arts community.
- Familiarity with or significant interest in issues around equity for persons with disability.
- Experience working with community and community organizations.
$28 – $32/hour (plus GST as applicable)
Hours & Location
The Academy Manager will work approx 18 hours per week and, while the hours are flexible, it is expected that the majority of the work will be done between M-F 9-6pm. The Manager must be available to work on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 3-6pm throughout the academic year.
Realwheels believes in a flexible work environment and supports individuals doing their best work regardless of the location. While the Manager must be able to occasionally meet at our office and attend the Academy classes bi-weekly in Vancouver, other work may be done remotely or at our dedicated office space.
The expected start date is December 2021 with funding in place to continue until the end of September 2024 (with the possibility of extension). Realwheels offices close four weeks each year at which time the Manager is encouraged to take time off for rest and rejuvenation.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and a resume (in one Pdf file) to email@example.com by October 28th, 2021 at noon with the subject line: “Academy Manager Position”. If you require any accommodations in your application process, please let us know at 604-322-7325 at least one week prior to the deadline.
Realwheels strongly supports and values diversity and fosters an equitable and inclusive work environment. We welcome and encourage applications from members of all equity-seeking groups and invite you to self-identify in your application. We will be pleased to assist you with appropriate accommodation either in the interview and/or workplace.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.