UPDATE: This job posting is now closed.
INTERIM ARTISTIC DIRECTOR
Realwheels is an award-winning, Vancouver-based professional theatre company. We create and produce performances that deepen understanding of the disability experience, and we work toward full inclusion and integration of disability both on — and off — Canadian stages.
Realwheels values authenticity in representing disability; innovation in content, presentation and technology; inclusiveness in working with artists; and we advocate for equity on behalf of performers, backstage workers and patrons with disabilities.
Through our theatre productions, community engagement projects, and advocacy for access, we’re building a diverse performing arts world that reflects the real world and all of its people.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Interim Artistic Director (AD) will work with the Managing Director (MD) to direct the activities of Realwheels, developing and fulfilling the artistic vision and organizational mandate.
As Interim AD, you’ll be responsible for the following areas:
Artistic Vision and Strategy
- Develop and implement Realwheels’ artistic vision and strategy, with a focus on community programming, and the curation, development and production of new works.
- Recruit, manage, and mentor artists, participants and project staff.
- Collaborate with the MD on all aspects of company planning, programming, fundraising, budgeting, grant writing, facility operations, board development, stewardship, networking, and community outreach.
- Oversee existing artistic programming and lead the creation of new artistic and
audience development initiatives, with an eye to revenue development and fiscal
- Provide regular reports to the Board of Directors.
Public Relations and Marketing
- Represent Realwheels and liaise with our various stakeholders.
- Serve as an ambassador for Realwheels to the general public and within the disability and theatre communities.
- Maintain and develop relationships with theatre artists, companies, and allied
organizations, to inspire participation in programming.
- In conjunction with the MD, develop, manage, and implement Realwheels’
- Communicate with donors, potential funders and sponsors, soliciting their continued support.
- Work with the MD to source and prepare relevant grant applications and coordinate additional fundraising and revenue generation initiatives.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with key people and institutions in the corporate sector.
The ideal candidate for the Artistic Director role possesses the following qualifications:
- Proven artistic track record and strong artistic vision
- Demonstrated experience of artistic administration, management, and production
- Strong grant-writing and communication skills
- Actively engaged in the theatre community, particularly within disability communities
- Understanding of intersectional approaches
- Some familiarity with disability arts within Canada and internationally
- Relationship-builder, committed to community connections, mentorship and outreach.
- Entrepreneurial spirit
Accountability: The Artistic Director is directly accountable to the Board of Directors.
Salary: $55,000 + (benefits offered) based on a 0.8 work schedule (4 days/week)
Hours and location of work: Realwheels shares an office with other non-profit organizations in South Vancouver. The AD may combine in-office time with working remotely. Evening, weekends, and occasional overtime hours may be required to accommodate activities like rehearsals, shows, and Board meetings. Work hours are flexible, with the expectation that the AD works 4 days per week (0.8 FTE).
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and your resumé showcasing your interest, experience and familiarity with disability arts, as well as an expression of your vision, goals, and artistic philosophy to firstname.lastname@example.org We request that all documents be sent in Word format for maximal accessibility. Applications will be received on a rolling basis.
Equity: Realwheels is committed to encouraging opportunities and accommodations for people with disabilities to work in leadership positions in the Arts and Culture sector. To this end, we will prioritize applicants with disabilities.
Accessibility: At this time, all interviews will be conducted over video chat. Please let us know if you require any alternate accommodations.
We thank all applicants, but please be advised that only those considered for an interview will be contacted.