Job Title: General Manager
Organization: Realwheels Society
Deadline: Rolling until position is filled
Job Status: Contract (Part Time or flexible)
Realwheels is an award-winning theatre company that creates and produces performances that deepen understanding of the disability experience. Our projects nurture the development of emerging artists and introduce audiences to the vast range of talent and creativity residing in the disability community. In addition to making awesome theatre, we’re pioneering a range of activities that are innovating the sector.
Full inclusion and integration of disability both on – and off – Canadian stages; a barrier-free, diverse performing arts world that reflects the real world and all of its people.
– Authenticity in representing disability;
– Innovation in content, presentation and/or technology;
– Inclusiveness in working with professionally trained artists with disabilities, and advocating for equity for performers, backstage workers, and patrons with disabilities.
We’re seeking a General Manager to play a key role in the administrative and managerial direction of the company. The GM will work in close partnership with the Artistic Director.
The General Manager will work co-operatively with the Artistic Director to plan, fundraise, develop, coordinate, schedule, produce, and evaluate a variety of theatre-based projects, including professional productions, community engagement projects, and ancillary activities designed to increase equity and inclusion for persons with disabilities.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Developing and managing the budget and cash flow of the organization
- Together with Artistic Director, applying and reporting to Municipal, Provincial and Federal grants and exploring new funding opportunities
- Fundraising, including creating and executing strategies for cultivation and stewardship of individuals, corporations, foundations
- Marketing – both organizational and for individual projects
- Supervising show-related activity including Box Office, Production and Volunteer Co-ordination and other logistics
- Implementing outreach for community engagement projects
- Supervising support staff
- Negotiating and contracting with self-employed personnel
- Together with the Artistic Director, ensuring compliance with applicable collective agreements
- Coordinating website and social media updates
- Reporting to the Board on operational matters
- Performing other administrative duties as needed to fulfill the role
The ideal candidate will be independent, resourceful, and passionate about theatre, with the following skills/experience:
- University degree in arts administration or comparable experience
- Strong management experience in office systems, budgeting, finance and marketing
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral)
- Familiarity with the Vancouver and Canadian performing arts community and the Independent Theatre Agreement
- Familiarity with or significant interest in issues around social justice and equity for persons with disability
- Computer Proficient – Mac operating systems & programs, Microsoft Suite, WordPress, Mailchimp, and Google Drive.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently, without direct supervision
- Enthusiasm for a collaborative work environment and partnership-building
- Experience working with community and community organizations will be considered an asset
Hours: 28-32 hours/week. Flexibility of hours may be considered. Some evening and weekend work is expected.
Compensation: Contract$27.50 – $30/per hour.
Deadline for applications: Rolling until the position is filled. We’re excited to begin interviewing qualified candidates immediately.
Start Date: When filled.
How to Apply:
Please submit a letter of application and a resume (In one Word file), to: searchcommittee<@>realwheels.ca
Realwheels strongly supports and values diversity and fosters an equitable and inclusive work environment. We welcome and encourage applications from women, persons of colour, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and members of other marginalized or under-represented groups.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.